This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase.
If you’re looking for ways to stick to your budget and save money, then you will love this simple idea. It’s called the cash envelope wallet system.
The concept behind the cash envelope system is to stash away money and organizing them accordingly to its purpose.
For instance, you set aside cash for groceries by placing them in an envelope and marked as such; on the next envelope, cash for utilities. Then you keep all these containers in a cash envelope binder.
With the cash envelope wallet system, sticking to your budget becomes easier. So if you’re looking to stash away money for your usual expenses while saving some for the rainy days, this method can benefit you.
The best cash envelope wallets
Here’s a tip: your envelope wallet should not only store cash; it should also accommodate other things like your credit cards, debit cards, coins, IDs, etc.
Pick a couple of envelope wallets that you can use for loose items as well. You’d want to put everything in there along with the typical day-to-day things you place inside your wallet.
There are plenty of affordable wallets that you can use as cash system envelopes. Here are some of our top picks.
1. Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet
Looking for a versatile wallet for your DIY cash envelope wallet system?
Check out the Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet. It’s functional and has a wide range of patterns, prints, and colors to choose from.
What sets this budget wallet from other cash system envelopes is that it’s fashionable and serves its purpose.
It’s made of cotton, which is great for a wallet to have. And it keeps everything organized; from cash to receipts, from credit cards to IDs.
The Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet features two main compartments that you can use.
In one compartment, you have 10 cash dividers for your budget categories. It’s here that you place your cash allotted for a specific budget or expense. In the other compartment, you can find six pockets allotted for your credit and debit cards, two pockets for your IDs, and two more for your notes and receipts.
The Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet also features a pen loop, zippered coin purse, and a checkbook slot.
You don’t have to buy many envelopes or wallets to continue with your DIY cash envelope wallet system. With the Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet, you get all the compartments and storage spaces you need in one place. It can fit your cash, cards, IDs, and more.
For its quality and affordability, the Bella Taylor Cash Envelope Wallet is a good item to have in your budgeting and money-saving activities.
2. Savvy Spender Cash Envelope Wallet
Do you want five separate cash envelopes in one wallet?
You will love the unique features of the Savvy Spender. It’s a large foldover clutch wallet that has five removable magnetic cash envelopes.
The Savvy Spender is a handy tool that can help you organize your budget and classify your cash accordingly. This wallet is made of durable fabric and has a magnetic design that will securely hold your cash, cards, IDs, and receipts inside.
Did you know you don’t have to bring all envelopes all at once?
With its removable feature, you can take a few envelopes out and leave the rest in the wallet. That way, you don’t have to bring them all together.
And if you need more envelopes, you can buy additional ones separately.
The Savvy Spender holds more than just your cash, cards, and receipts. It’s also big enough to hold most phones like the iPhone.
You can use the Savvy Spender like a clutch or purse. It’s versatile, looks good, and offers value for money.
3. The Great Divide Cash Envelope Wallet
From the makers of The Savvy Spender comes another functional cash envelope wallet.
Introducing The Great Divide.
This product has the same features as The Savvy Spender. The only difference is that it’s a smaller version to the latter.
The Great Divide is a wonderful option if you’re looking for a cash envelope wallet that’s smaller than a bag. It’s more like a small pouch; an everyday wallet that you can place inside your bag.
Here’s what you get with The Great Divide. This product has storage for up to 12 cards or IDs. It also has storage pockets and zipper pouches.
Looking for a wallet that can safely and securely store your cash?
With its five magnetic cash envelopes, The Great Divide is a handy tool that can separate and hold your cash budget. Plus, its envelopes come in different colors for easy coding for your different budget categories.
- Plenty of Storage to Stay Organized - With room for 12 debit or credit cards, 5 cash envelopes, 1 zipper pouch, and 2 extra storage pockets, you will have space to take along everything you need!
- Customize Your Wallet - Use the write-on adhesive labels to personalize your wallet to YOUR budget. Uncertain about your budgeting categories? The wallet comes with 12 optional stickers so that you can change categories without a problem.
- 5 Magnetic Cash Envelopes come in FIVE colors to help you keep your budgeting categories separate. Each envelope has a small magnetized closure, keeping your hard earned cash securely inside.
4. Savvycents Wallet.
Looking for a cash envelope system wallet that earned top reviews?
You will love the favorite among customers. Check out Savvycents Wallet.
There are a couple of reasons why Savvycents Wallet is a top seller. Let’s take it one by one.
This product is available in beautiful colors, designs, and patterns. So if you’re looking for a fashionable wallet, this one’s a good bet.
In addition to its bright colors and design, every Savvycents Wallet is highly functional. It lets you organize cash, cards, coupons, IDs, and receipts without risk of losing any of them.
This multi-compartment wallet uses an accordion-style file system, allowing you to arrange your things inside. Plus, it also features label slots that lets you indicate the different categories for your budget plan.
- File system inside the wallet.
- Clutch strap that can be pulled out or hidden.
5. Finlaer Women’s Leather Clutch Envelope Wallet.
Do you want a cash envelope wallet that’s made of leather?
Then the Finlaer Women’s Leather Clutch Envelope Wallet is perfect for you. It looks chic and features ample separate storage compartments for your cash, cards, coupons, receipts, and more.
This modern-looking leather wallet has six compartments. You can designate a budget category, labeling it accordingly with colored clips.
If you want a money envelope wallet that looks stylish and elegant, you’ll love the Finlaer Women’s Leather Clutch Envelope Wallet.
- Cowhide - Full grain leather
- Measurement 6.90 inch (L) X 1.2 inch (W) X 3.9 inch (H).
- Features - 5 card slots, 1 ID window, 6 cash slots, 1 zip pocket
6. Dave Ramsey Envelope System Wallet
Looking for an affordable cash envelope system wallet?
Check out the Dave Ramsey Envelope System. This vibrant red wallet carries a price tag below $25. You can buy it from Amazon; if you have Prime, you can save money off delivery charges and even have it sent to you for free.
- Ramsey, Dave (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 50 Pages - 02/01/2008 (Publication Date) - Ramsey Press (Publisher)
7. RFID Blocking Wallet
Check out this cool cash envelope wallet.
It’s not your typical wallet. Aside from its big compartments (big enough to fit your phone), this one also features multiple card slots; that’s a lot of storage space, don’t you think?
But here’s the coolest thing about this product; it is capable of blocking RFID (radio frequency identification).
With the RFID blocking wallet, you get enhanced security for your credit cards. So if you’re conscious about that, this wallet can address your concerns.
The RFID blocking wallet also features many colors to choose from.
- SUPER SPACIOUS & CONVENIENT: only 1.4" thick, sizing 7.5" X 4.15" X 1.4" . 100% GENUINE LEATHER: soft and durable
- FUNCTIONALITY: 17 card slots, 1 id window, 5 bill / currency compartment
- RFID BLOCKING TESTED & APPROVED BY INDEPENDENT LAB TESTS: Our wallets have been tested for 13.56 MHz Frequency in which our credit cards, debit cards, driver license and ID cards operate
8. Get the affordable option in Eurlove Wallet.
Looking for a cheaper alternative from among this selection?
Check out the Eurlove Wallet. It’s an affordable option that features two large compartments that are big enough to hold a smartphone.
The Eurlove Wallet is made of leather. So you can trust its durability. You can place paper envelopes in the large compartments while fitting your credit cards in among the eight slots. There are also two medium-sized pockets for your coins.
- Large Space: 2 large compartments ; 8 credit card slots and 2 medium size pockets. A good card holder to keep your cash,credit card,coins,passport and checkbook.
- Big Enough: 7.5 x 3.9 x 1 inches. Your mobilephone can be fit into the purse including Samsung,iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 Plus(5.5 inch) iPhone X.It's perfect size to hold it on hand or put it in your handbag.
- PU Leather: The clutch is made of high quality PU leather and gold color coated metal zipper.
9. Thrifty Zippers Men’s Bifold Envelope System.
Looking for a cash envelope wallet for men?
Check out the Thrifty Zippers Men’s Bifold Envelope System. It looks very manly and offers multiple cash and card compartments that your man can use for budgeting purposes.
10. All About The Benjamins Wallet.
Leather looks elegant. This is why the All About the Benjamins wallet is gorgeous.
Made of faux leather, All About the Benjamins is available is seven solid colors. No prints, no patterns, just plain solid colors.
It’s with the simple design that makes it so classy, which is why All About the Benjamins is so popular.
Wondering what to expect with this product?
All About the Benjamins features two big compartments. You can use them as cash envelopes and cash dividers. It also has 12 credit card slots, clear ID window, and an interior zipper pocket.
If you want to carry it around, you can attach a wristlet strap for your convenience.
11. Fossil Emma Large Zip Wallet
Do you need large compartments for your cash, cards, and more?
Check out the Fossil Emma Large Zip Wallet. It features two large compartments. It also has a zipper pocket, 12 credit card slots, three inside pockets, and one more on the exterior.
The Fossil Emma Large Zip Wallet also features a RFID blocking lining, giving you the protection you need for your credit cards’ security.
Choose from 20 wallet designs. Fossil Emma Large Zip Wallet is durable and can last long.
- Fossil is inspired by American creativity and ingenuity. Bringing new life into the watch and leathers industry by making quality, fashionable accessories that are both fun and accessible
- Designed to stow your handheld, cards and cash, our Emma large zip wallet is hands-free and on trend in smooth glazed leather. We've designed this wallet with a special lining to help protect the RFID chips in your cards from unwarranted scanning
- Genuine Leather Clutch Wallet; Zipper Closure; imported
The cash envelope wallet system.
In a nutshell, this money-saving method uses actual money that you put in an envelope.
To put the wheel in motion, you start by listing all necessary expenses that you usually incur every month. For every expense, you have a corresponding envelope and mark it accordingly.
After determination of the respective amounts for every monthly expense, you place money inside each envelope. Now, when you need money for that particular expense, you take it out from its corresponding envelope.
But when the money runs out from that envelope, you are no longer allowed to spend on that expense. You’ll have to wait for the next cycle to replenish the funds for that expense.
Need money? Take it from the envelopes.
When you pay in cash, you can see your spending and become more aware of your expenditures. You will feel it immediately, unlike when you use your credit card or pay using checks.
Need to spend on groceries? Pull out cash from the envelope. But when you see your cash isn’t that much, then you’re not likely to splurge on anything else outside your grocery list.
The cash envelope wallet system lets you stick to your budget and save money.
What are the steps when setting up a DIY cash envelope wallet system?
The idea behind this is to prepare a feasible budget for expenses and payments that you normally pay for using cash. Examples include groceries, gas, utilities, kids’ activities, etc.
(Check out my article on how to make a budget printable.)
Take note of all expenditures going down each month. The amounts in each envelope will depend on your finances, spending habits, and payment system.
But before you start with the DIY cash envelope wallet system, start by picking an envelope wallet from this list that can accommodate cards, coins, licenses, etc.
Pick an envelope wallet instead. It’s more durable and can hold your coins, cash, cards, and more in one place. Plus, you won’t have a lot of envelopes lying around the house.
What is your favorite cash envelope wallet from the list?