We may earn a small commission for affiliate links in this post at no additional cost to you.
Want to save more money? You’ve probably been told to buy in bulk. True enough, it’s one of the best and most cost-effective ways to save money. However, buying in large volumes isn’t the only key to cut costs. You will also need to be selective in what you buy. At the end of the day, it’s all about being a smart shopper. Here are 20 things to buy in bulk to save money.
Are you looking to save money?
Perhaps you should consider buying in bulk the next time you go to the grocery store. You can save a small fortune if you purchase in bulk quantities. Plus, you don’t have to go back to the supermarket for the same items, which means you can also save on gas as well as your time and effort.
However, as sound as this logic may seem, you might not want to buy everything you see in the supermarket aisles in bulk.
Yes, you can save a ton of money, but if you don’t need that item, are you really saving money?
More than anything else, you’re spending money on something you don’t really need or use.
Because you picked up a lot of things from the store, you may end up with a lot of unused products.
Having these unutilized items means that’s money ending up going down the drain. That could have been money you could have spent on other things.
If you think about it, you’re not saving money. You’re just throwing away your cash unnecessarily, don’t you think?
Great deals at the supermarket can seem enticing, and there’s nothing wrong about buying in bulk. But if you want to get the most bang for your buck, you need to be a wise consumer.
Before going to the supermarket, check your pantry to see what you need to replenish your stocks. Then make a grocery list, focusing on the everyday essentials. This way, you get all that you need and save yourself the trouble of a second or third trip.
Should You Consider Buying in Bulk?
Are you into buying bulk or looking to get back to it again?
Here are practical tips on what things to buy in bulk to save money. We’ll give you an idea on what to buy in bulk or where to buy cheap household items (including the cheapest way to buy household items).
Let’s start with the toiletries and products for you and your family’s personal hygiene.
Here are eight things to buy in bulk to save money:
1. Soap, Shampoo, Hair Conditioner, and Other Personal Items
You and your family have to take care of your hygiene, right? And you can go through bars of soap and bottles of hair care products that quickly. Thus, buying toiletries in bulk makes perfect sense.
Bath soap is a key household item that you and your family use every day. So you might want to stock up on this item. If you use body wash grab a supply of your favorite brand.
- BRAND HERITAGE: With its rich gold color and bracing scent, is the bar you can trust for deodorant protection and long-lasting clean
- KILLS BACTERIA: Trusted antibacterial deodorant protection technology that kills odor causing bacteria long after you wash
- ODOR PROTECTION: Round the clock odor protection to help you feel clean and fresh all day long
- MOISTURE BALANCE: Clean rinsing and hydrating formula for the perfect balance of clean and moisturized
- CREAMY LATHER: Formulated to provide creamy, moisture rich lather that washes away germs without drying skin
Same goes with your shampoo and hair conditioner. Let’s face it, you and your family will go through a regular-sized bottle in just a few weeks. So why not save yourself the trouble of going back to the grocery again for the same items.
Did you know you can save money when you buy your hair conditioners and shampoos in bigger containers? The conventional sizes can get really costly when you add it all up. Look for the gallon sizes.
You might also want to check on your other personal care products.
Do you use sunscreen often?
Or perhaps you need aloe vera gel to moisturize your skin (or treat the sunburn). As good an idea to stock up on these two items, you might also want to get bath sponges for a soothing and relaxing bath. Have large quantities of these three products.
2. Toothbrushes and Toothpaste Products
Dentists recommend that you discard your current toothbrush and replace it with a new one after three months of use.
For a family of four or more, can you imagine how much money you will save if you buy them in bunches? You will set aside a small fortune when you purchase your toothbrushes in bulk.
The same goes for your toothpaste products. It can run out really quickly, especially if you have a big family. Thus, the smarter choice is to buy them in larger quantities.
- Fluoride toothpaste fights cavities
- Cleans teeth thoroughly
- Strengthens teeth enamel with active fluoride
- Great Mint Taste
- Anticavity fluoride toothpaste
Complete your daily dental hygiene needs with mouthwash too. How many bottles can you go through in a three-month period? You won’t regret buying them in bulk.
3. Sanitary Napkins, Tampons, and Other Feminine Products
These are a must-have for women. Save yourself from the late-night trips to the store to get these essentials. You can only imagine the hassle of driving to the grocery because you suddenly needed one and you’ve run out of stock.
- You Will Receive 4 Boxes Tampax Pearl Plastic Tampons, Regular Absorbency, Unscented, 50 Count (Total 200 Count)
- LeakGuard Braid helps stop leaks before they happen
- Smooth Removal Layer gives you amazing comfort, even on your lighter days
- Smooth, rounded-tip applicator and Anti-Slip Grip for comfortable insertion
- Tampax Pearl tampons give you up to 8 hours of comfortable, leak-free protection
Buy your female necessities in advance, and get them in bulk. It can be a life-saver.
4. Men’s Personal Hygiene Products
Men have their personal hygiene needs too. Buying the shaving razors and shaving cream in bulk will save you big bucks rather than getting them individually.
- Twin comfort blades
- Pivoting action
- Soft grip handle for control and maneuverability
- Lubrastrip for extraordinary comfort
- One of with 52 razors inside
5. Other Personal Care and Hygiene Products
Stocking up on deodorant products in bulk will save you money. It’s a necessity and an essential part of daily hygiene, so you might as well get them in a bunch instead of singly.
Cotton balls and Q-tips are also essential for personal care and hygiene. Plus they come in handy during emergencies or do-it-yourself projects. So you might want to get them in bulk too.
- Great for removing nail polish.
- Applying lotions, toners and astringents.
- Lint-free and Gentle.
- Softer & more absorbent.
- Doesn't break down or fall apart.
Girls can never get enough of hairpins and elastic ties. If you or other members of the household have long hair, ensure that you have enough supplies at home.
Lotions and other skin care products can get pricey if you buy them individually. So it’s good to have them in bulk. Especially when there are several of you who are using these products.
If you want to keep your lips lovely and moisturized with lip balm. Get them in multiples to save major buckaroos.
Are you looking to have a soothing and stress-relieving bath? Get your bath sponges and scrubbers in bigger volumes to save yourself the hassle and time for doing the trip to the supermarket.
And don’t forget your first aid supplies. They will come in handy for emergencies, so be sure to stock up band-aids, peroxide, and anti-bacterial creams.
- 320 assorted bandages and sizes
- All bandages have 4-sided seal technology to keep dirt and germs out
- Latex free
6. Toilet and Other Bathroom Supplies
You can never have enough toilet paper. You can’t say you and your family won’t need them today. Everybody needs toilet paper, and it can go out really quick. Save yourself the hassle of running out of TP. Seriously, you wouldn’t want to be in that situation. Get them in bulk.
- Pack contains 24 Rolls (363 sheets per roll) of Charmin Ultra Soft Family Mega Roll toilet paper
- 1 Charmin Family Mega Roll = 5+ Regular Rolls based on number of sheets in Charmin Regular Roll bath tissue
- Charmin's irresistibly soft toilet paper with a unique cushiony touch
- More absorbent so you can use less vs. the leading bargain brand
- Clog-safe and septic-safe; Roto-Rooter approved
Check your bathroom supplies too. If you have multiple bathrooms in your home, you’ll have to get more. Get your bathroom cleaning supplies by the gallon and lots of it.
7. Diapers, Wipes, and Other Baby Items
Do you have a baby at home?
Then you know how expensive the baby stuff can get.
Take diapers for instance. But you can always save big bucks when you buy diapers in bulk. Plus, you get more than enough on hand when the little one needs it. Having diapers in stock will help avoid going to the supermarket during the wee hours of the night.
- Featuring fun Disney Mickey Mouse designs, HUGGIES Snug & Dry Diapers Size 3 fit babies from 16 to 28 lb.
- Trusted Leak Lock system helps eliminate leaks for up to 12 hours
- Four layers of protection absorb moisture quickly, and a quilted liner helps keep baby feeling dry
- Wetness indicator changes color when it's time for a diaper change
- Pair with HUGGIES Natural Care Wipes to help keep your baby's skin clean and soft
The same goes for baby wipes. They come in handy when you need to clean up really quick. Plus, they have other uses too; they are not limited for baby’s use.
Let’s get on to eight more things to buy in bulk to save money; these are what you and your family might need in the kitchen area or pantry.
1. Plastic Wrap and Aluminum Foil
Don’t you hate it when you run out of plastic wrap and aluminum foil? Just when you’re about to get started with baking, you realize you need to run to the store to get the foil.
Or when you need to wrap something and there’s just not enough plastic wrap to go around; it can be very inconvenient to make the trip to the supermarket to buy this single item.
Save time, effort, and energy going to and fro. Just buy these items in bulk. You’ll save gas too when you have enough stock to get by with your projects.
- FOOD PLASTIC WRAP: Glad's Variety Pack has you covered with one 150 sqft FreezerWrap, one 75 sqft Glad Press'n Seal and one 200 sqft Glad ClingWrap
- PRESS'N SEAL PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: With a quick press of a finger, Glad Press'n Seal Food Wrap keeps food fresh with a leak proof, air tight seal
- GLAD CLINGWRAP PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: Extend foods' freshness with Glad ClingWrap Plastic Food Wrap keeping air out with a tight seal
- GLAD FREEZERWRAP PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: Lock in freshness with the blue tinted Glad FreezerWrap Plastic Food Wrap built to protect against freezer burn
- FOOD PLASTIC WRAP: Glad Food Wraps are BPA free, microwave-safe and provide a versatile range of plastic wrap for all kitchen and household needs
2. Ziplock Bags
The kids use it with their lunches or you with your thingamabobs. Ziplock bags are very versatile and offer many uses in everyday life. This is why they tend to run out pretty quickly. Thus, it’s a good idea to purchase them in big volumes.
- Pack of 4, contains 125 bags (Total of 500 bags)
- Food stays fresh at home or on the go when you use Ziploc Sandwich Bags
- Bag Dimensions: 6-1/2 in. x 5-7/8 in
- Best sandwich bag value
3. Gift-Wrapping Paper and Tape
Are you looking to wrap presents for someone’s birthday? Maybe you have family or friends celebrating a special milestone in their lives? Or perhaps the holidays are coming. Then you will need gift-wrapping paper and tape.
There’s no need to rush to the store to get these items. Save yourself the hassle and buy them in bulk.
- The original matte-finish, invisible tape
- Frosty on the roll, but invisible on the job
- Preferred by millions
- Comes off the roll smoothly, cuts easily
- Scotch Magic Tape Refills are compatible with all of the Scotch Brand desktop dispensers for easy use
4. Dish Soap and Scrubbers
The pots and pans won’t clean themselves. So are the plates and utensils. But regular soap won’t cut it. To get the job done, you’ll need dishwashing soap. And you’ll need dish scrubbers too.
For an item that you use several times a day, dishwashing soap can run out pretty fast. And the scrubber can get worn out quite quickly too. So buy multiple bottles and packs. That way, you’ll never find yourself in a pinch for these kitchen essentials.
- Dawn Ultra Dish Soap Contains 3X MORE Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. non-ultra Dawn)
- Dawn Ultra Antibacterial Dish Soap Contains 2X MORE Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. non-ultra Dawn)
- Our NEW More Powerful Formula helps you get through more dishes with less dishwashing liquid
- Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent & Antibacterial Apple Blossom
5. Disposable Plates, Cups, and Utensils
You will have days when you won’t feel like doing the dishes. What better way to prepare than to have disposable plates, cups, and utensils ready. These items are also perfect when you’re short on time or when you need a quick and informal dinnerware for friends coming over.
- Contains 480 plates (8 1/2 inches) in 10 packs of 48; designs may vary
- Microwavable, cut resistant, and coated with a Soak Proof Shield that can handle anything from salad dressing to burger grease
- Gluten free, BPA free, and Kosher certified. Microwave safe
- Recyclable (facility must accept food-contaminated paper waste) and compostable in composting facilities (not at home)
- Subscribe and Save up to 15%; try our Dixie Ultra for holidays and Dixie To Go cups for on-the-go use
6. Snacks and Drinks
It’s good to have these around the home so you don’t have to order takeout and what-not. Indulge in your favorite cookies and sweets. Don’t forget to get refreshments and light meals from the healthy section. Stock up on your preferred beverages too.
- Mixed Fruit,
- Fat Free
- contains 80 to 0.9 ounce pouches per box
7. Cooking Oil, Vinegar, Baking Soda, etc.
If you love to cook, it’s a good idea to stock up on cooking oil. You might also want to have vinegar and baking soda within easy reach. These items have multiple uses around the house.
You can use vinegar for preparing meals, and it’s also a good disinfectant and cleaning agent. On the other hand, baking soda’s uses ranges from cooking to cleaning to even gardening.
- America's most trusted baking soda brand
- Great for baking, cleaning and deodorization
- Hundreds of uses
8. Cleaning Supplies
Stock up on your favorite cleaning supplies instead of going to and fro to the store to round up these items. Get them in bulk so you won’t have to worry about running out when you need to do some cleaning around the house.
- Lysol is stronger than the competition (vs. leading competitor - based on lab results)
- Disinfects & kills Kills 99.9% of viruses & bacteria, including 8 cold & flu viruses when used as directed
- Unique Micro-Pocket Pattern ideal to quickly trap & lift everyday messes
- Removes allergens. To disinfect - Allow to remain wet for 4 minutes. Allow surface to air dry. Toss dirty wipe away. To sanitize -Allow to remain wet for 10 seconds. To sanitize / disinfect - Pre-clean surface. Use enough fresh wipes to thoroughly wet surface
- Safe to use on electronics: Smartphones, Tablets & Remote Controls
Here are other things to buy in bulk to save money.
1. Towels and Underwear and Socks
If you have a large household, your bath towels can go out really quick. So if you’re looking to buy household items in bulk, this is one of those things.
And you can never have enough underwear and socks. These two are among the best investments you can make.
- Aquafx moisture control keeps feet dry and comfortable
- Full cushioned foot
- Made with super soft cotton and smooth comfort toe seam
- Long lasting reinforced toe
- Convenient 6 pair Pack
2. Vitamins and Supplements
Your good health is your wealth. Never sacrifice your wellness. Make sure you have the energy to perform your every day activities by taking vitamins and nutritional supplements regularly.
- Provides the essential nutrients necessary for a balanced diet and to give you that Energized Feeling
- Now with more folic acid selenium and calcium
- Formulated with a higher absorption
- New advanced formula
- USP verified dietary supplement
3. Eggs and Cereal
If you have a big household, a dozen eggs can only last two to three days. Then you’ll have to run to the supermarket to buy more. It’s a good idea to buy them in bulk. You’ll save a small fortune from your cost savings since there’s no need for frequent trips to the grocery.
The same is true with cereal. If it’s a mainstay of your diet, it makes perfect sense to have them in the house in large quantities.
- Heart Healthy Whole Grains - Quaker Oats are 100% Whole Grains. Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods and low in saturated fat & cholesterol may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Good Source of Fiber - Quaker Oats provide a good source of fiber to support a healthy digestive system. See nutrition facts for total fat per serving.
- Includes 3 boxes of Hint of Brown Sugar Oatmeal Squares
- 10g protein per serving when enjoyed with milk
- Start your day off right with Quaker Oatmeal Squares breakfast cereal
The TV remote is no longer working? The clock on the wall is no longer ticking? Perhaps it’s its batteries. It’s a good thing to have replacement batteries nearby. Thus, it makes sense to grab them in bulk.
- 48-pack of Energizer MAX alkaline AA batteries
- Our #1 Longest Lasting MAX AA battery powers everyday devices
- Leak resistant-construction protects your devices from leakage of fully used batteries for up to 2 years. Bonus: It's guaranteed.*
- Power for your nonstop family's must-have devices like toys, flashlights, clocks, remotes, and more
- Holds power up to 10 years in storage-so you're never left powerless
You’re probably wondering, “Where can I buy household items in bulk?”
You’ll be glad to know most supermarkets offer great deals that let you buy your essentials in large volume.
Wondering where to buy household items in bulk online or how to buy in bulk?
You can get wonderful deals off Amazon. Check out Amazon Prime Pantry.
If you’re looking to save money, time, and effort, it pays to stock up instead of going to and fro the supermarket too often.
Share in the comments below what things you like to buy in bulk to save money.